Have you ever helped another only to find that in doing so you’ve also helped yourself? Good Samaritan stories are often reported in the news – restoring our faith in others.
I’ve taken actions to make a positive difference in someone else – and it always feels great!
If you’re not sure where to start, we’ve complied some ideas to start making a positive difference in the lives of friends, family and neighbors:
Volunteer for a charitable organization. Food pantries, homeless shelters, respite care organizations, animal shelters – charities of all kind depend on people to donate their time.
Support local businesses and artists. Museums, restaurants, service providers, and more all rely on local support. A healthy local economy benefits everyone. Get to know your local business owners and artists. You may even get inspired by their entrepreneurial and creative spirit!
Share your expertise. Share what you know by speaking at a local event, teaching a class, or tutoring a student.
Small, thoughtful gestures can make someone else’s day. Consider;
- Help an elderly neighbor with yard work or offer to help with errands.
- Cook a meal or help with housework for a friend or neighbor who just had a baby or is going through a difficult time.
- Make a donation to a shelter or food pantry.
- If the person behind you at the store checkout has one or two items, let him/her ahead of you.
- Bring treats to work to share with co-workers
- Put your phone away and have a face-to-face conversation.
No matter your motivation, helping others can actually help yourself.
- When you help others, you’re be more likely to receive help in return. (It can also teach you to help yourself.)
- Helping others positively changes your perspective, and teaches you to appreciate what you have.
- Helping others is a great way to boost your self-esteem.
- People notice when you’re doing good.
- Kindness is contagious. Helping others motivates other people to pay it forward!
Completing your My Life & Wishes account is another act of kindness that will benefit you and your loved ones. You’ll have an accurate record of all your important documents, information, and final wishes in one secure location that’s easily accessible any time you need it. And when you provide loved ones with access to this information, they will have everything they need to honor your wishes and handle your affairs when you are no longer able.