5 Tips to Keep Your Pet Safe This Halloween

Pets and HalloweenFall marks the beginning of the holiday season.  Many of us are busy planning our Halloween costumes, decorating our homes and planning our social activities.  But this time of year can be stressful and potentially dangerous for our pets!

Here are some important reminders on how to keep our pets safe during this Halloween season:

  • Keep a watchful eye on the treats! Chocolate can be dangerous for cats and dogs if ingested.   Xylitol, a sugar substitute found in sugar-free candy and other baked goods has been linked to liver failure in dogs.
  • Be careful with the Decorations. Lit candles and jack-0-lanterns can be knocked over and burn your pet or start a fire. Pumpkins and decorative corn are generally considered non-toxic.  If they are ingested though, they can produce stomach discomfort to our furry friends.
  • If you are considering a costume for your pet, make sure it doesn’t limit their movement.  It also shouldn’t limit their ability to breathe, hear or see. And have a trial run to make sure your pets will accept wearing the costume.
  • Keep your pets away from the door. Strangers at the door in unusual costumes may frighten your pet. Keeping them in a safe place or room away from the door will reduce their stress.  It will also reduce the potential of your pet escaping.
  • Make sure your pet has identification. If your pet does accidentally escape, a chip or an ID collar may be a lifesaver for a lost pet.

For more safety tips for this Halloween read this>>

If you suspect your pet has ingested something toxic, have your Vet’s number easily available.  Know the location of a 24 hour emergency vet hospital or clinic.  Or call the ASPCA Poison Control Center 888-426-4435.

Halloween is the beginning of this holiday season. For more seasonal tips and advice on how to keep your pet safe during parties and holiday travels click here>>